Junior Designer and
YYES Los Angeles
About Working at YYES
YYES is a boutique studio and you will be responsible for a diverse range of projects, project responsibilities, and studio tasks including those traditionally defined as design and others that fall outside of traditional definition. There is no such thing as “not my job” at YYES, and we work to be sure everybody is involved in as many parts of the business as is practical.
We focus on delivering high-quality work to our clients and being the best part of each client’s day. As such, we value strong conceptual design skills as much as we value strong production skills, a cooperative attitude, efficiency, timeliness, communication, and infectious joie de vivre. We also focus on constantly evolving the studio and foster an environment that encourages new ideas: we embrace change where possible and practical.
Our offices work very hard and we treat our clients’ businesses as if they were our own. We have very high expectations for our people and we hold them in high regard, affording them many opportunities for career growth and enhancement.
Our projects run the gamut, including design strategy, logo and identity design, website design and development, content and writing exercises, presentation design, and print collateral. We also design packaging, script and produce corporate videos, and develop digital and print campaigns. Our clients are primarily corporate B2B business, often in the investing, private equity, and real estate industries. We also have clients in the hospitality, entertainment, and non-profit sectors.
Junior Designer Responsibilities / Expectations
- Assist in all aspects of design projects, both digital and print, including working autonomously on projects and as part of project teams
- Actively participate in and contribute to creative discussions and critiques
- Engage in and support all levels of the creative process as necessary
- Assist with project research (background, photo, illustration, content)
- Assist in production and pre-press work
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist in project scheduling and tracking
- Interface with vendors to obtain estimates, track job progress, etc.
- Interface with clients and attend client meetings as required
- Collect, track, and archive project-related materials both digital and physical, including opening new project files and closing/archiving complete project files
- Coordinate and manage shipments and deliveries (FedEx, couriers, etc.)
- Maintain office supplies stock
Attitude / Work Ethic
- Ambitious, resourceful, and eager to learn
- Oriented to common-sense solutions; able to recommend and develop procedures from scratch
- Attention to detail; eye for design
- Enthusiast for client brands, customer service, and the creative industry
- Confident, outgoing, collaborative personality
- Comfortable engaging with clients and networking
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Enthusiastic note-taker and list maker
- Detailed proofreader
- Able to develop and communicate appropriate conceptual design ideas
- Understanding of typography and type pairings
- Detail-oriented, able to intuitively understand and implement solutions
- Willing to voice opinions but also willing to gracefully accept direction
- Strong organizational, file management, and version control skills
- Proficient in key software (InVision, Sketch, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Responsive, quick, and flexible across a variety of disciplines
- Adaptable; ready to react to constantly changing details and priorities
- Understanding of digital and offset printing plus web design process, language, and standards
- Understanding of UI and user empathy
- Able to prioritize and execute on multiple projects at once
- Able to solve problems without supervision
- Calm under pressure
- Able and willing to work extended hours as needed.